Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Back Swing Takeaway


Back Swing Takeaway
Step One - Setup
We’ll start, of course, with your correct golf stance and club grip. The club head should be floating just above the ground behind the ball. I then do the little things that get me loose and relaxed (to each his own).
Step Two - Hinge arm/Cock wrists
(This is the beginning of where anyone who knows anything about golf will begin to disagree with me.)I start my golf back swing, or golf swing takeaway, by bringing the golf club head back, however, I don’t focus on the club head. Instead I think of the arm as being hinged at my left shoulder. Then, like a gate that swings open from it’s hinges, the left arm hinges at the left shoulder and swings across the body until it approaches the right side at my right armpit. The left arm remains relatively straight, but could bend slightly.My shoulder and upper body turn begin as the left arm reaches this position.
As the arms go back, two things should happen.
First, the forearms will naturally rotate clockwise slightly until the golf club head points to the sky. Opening the club face more won’t seem right to you if you tend to slice, but don’t resist this very natural movement.Second, as your arms travel up and back and the golf club shaft approaches parallel to the ground, you will gradually begin cocking your wrists. Then by the time that your left arm is parallel to the ground, your wrists should be completely cocked at a 90 degree angle.(This is the last time we discuss or think about the position of your arms.)Cocking your wrists is a very important part of creating club head speed. This was one of my big swing problems. I was so concerned about “taking the club straight back” at the beginning of my back swing that I never completely cocked my wrists. Fixing this straightened out several of my golf swing problems

No comments: